Jennifer’s comments about radio pain spurred me to think about how to normalize our radio pain to examine exactly the demons that lurk amidst unknown radio playlists that can send us to our earworm, or worse, doom.
I propose we construct a 3B! Pandora radio station with which to use for our poorly subscribed horrible radio song contest.
Here is how it will work. Our station needs to have the following criteria. A) Random B) Cheesy C) Possibly awful D) Unexpected.
How we will accomplish this is as follows: everyone needs to list 5 songs with which we can seed this station. The songs need to cover these five categories:
1) A song you love but you KNOW is definitely not for everyone.
2) A song you are embarrassed about loving so you will roll up the car window when it comes on.
3) A song that you have a hate relationship with, meaning a song you are familiar with and CANNOT stand.
4) A song that do NOT like from a band you DO like.
5) A song that you love so much you would nutpunch someone for denigrating it.
When we have all the songs, I will seed the station and send it to everyone via e-mail and then we can proceed with the contest, including attempting to blame each other for whatever crap it coughs up.
We can do this, people!!!!!!!!!!
6) A song that you still love no matter how overplayed
7) A song that you love intellectually but will guiltily turn on the radio when it comes on, even listening to (2) instead FOR SHAME